Sunday, March 22, 2009

Skiing

I went for skiing for the first time in my life. It is really fun. Giving up the fear to fall down is the key to learn. It does not hurt much when you fall down on snow.
It is obviously not the right age for me to start learning skiing. Just after learning to walk is the right time to start skiing. More over I dont have any experience in a similar sport like Skating or surfing. If I had any experience I would find it easy to catch up.

Anyway it was fun to go skiing with few Norwegian (Swedish and Hungarian too) colleagues at Voksenkollen (Some 6 km north-west of Oslo city). We got tram on route 1 to reach Voksenkollen and Rented Skis (Skis, Boots and Poles) for 200 Kr per person. Skis are of different length and weights (stiffness).




Usually length of ski is selected to be the same as one's height. Theory behind the skis is that middle part of the skis should not touch the ground when you stand on both legs.
But when you put all your weight on one leg the ski straightens and middle of the ski (just beneath the boot) should touch the ground. Usually we apply a wax to make the middle of the ski to have more resistance.

Spent about one hour walking with skis before I could actually slide a considerable distance. By the time when we reached Frognerseteren I was proud of being able to slide on skis with less frequent falling :)

No comments: